What You Need to Know to Easily Craft a Mini Wreath | 5 min read
Looking for decorating inspiration this holiday season? Crafting a simple mini wreath is a great way to add a festive touch to your home décor or decorate a gift. With the right materials and a few easy steps, you can create a beautiful mini wreath that is sure to be the centrepiece of your holiday decorations. In the guide to follow, we’ll outline everything you need to know to craft a mini wreath easily and quickly. We'll offer helpful tips on what materials to choose, how to assemble the wreath, and a few ideas for decorations that will take your mini wreath to the next level. So, let's get started – it's time to put your crafting skills to the test and make a mini masterpiece!
Before You Begin
- Consider the style of wreath you would like to design; for example, a traditional festive wreath in green and red, a rustic neutral tone wreath, or a statement wreath in contemporary metallics. In our demonstration, we were inspired by a classic White Christmas aesthetic.
What You’ll Need
- Any kind of vine to create your base. Unless you purchase a pre-made mini base, this step will require some resourcefulness. If you can bind it, you can turn it into a wreath; so, we recommend trying any kind of vine available to you. In our demonstration, we used cuttings from a type of cushion bush, which is an Australian native shrub that we by chance grow at our studio. So let your imagination run wild and explore the possibilities in your own backyard.
- Focal bloom (one intentional flower selected as the design focus)
- Filler and foliage to complement (aim for elements that add contrast & visual interest)
It’s All About the Base: Our Tips
- To commence creating the base, think of the action of tying your shoelace. Take two ends of a long length of vine and create a tie. Close the tie until you reach the desired wreath size; for our demo, we aimed for approximately 15cm across. Continue to wrap any excess vine around the established base.
- Wreath bases become secure through the tension created by the vines binding to one another. So, continue to add lengths of vine by wrapping over and under the established base until you’re satisfied with the overall shape and width.
- If the bind is sufficiently tight, it shouldn’t require additional mechanics to keep the vines in place.
Crafting Your Design: Our Tips
- This is your opportunity to truly unleash your creativity. You could create a focal spray to accent your wreath base or cover your base entirely; the design is up to you. For our demo, we chose a decorative accent that covers roughly one third of the base.
- After securing the binding twine, it’s best to work in one direction, placing your materials and binding with twine as you go.
- You can place your materials in groupings or individually; however, the fewer the materials the more control you will have in their positioning.
- To avoid unintended gaps, remember to view your wreath from all angles and position materials accordingly.
- As you place materials, you can choose to trim any excess stems or keep them as a feature.
- To complete the design, secure the twine in place by threading the end of the twine underneath a final looping bind and pull firmly.
- Attach to a gift or add a loop of twine to hang as an ornament.
Creating a mini wreath for the holidays is a great way to add a personal touch to your Christmas décor. By gathering just a few supplies and following a few simple steps, you can quickly craft a cute and festive mini wreath that will immediately add a touch of holiday cheer to your home. With just a little preparation, you can easily create a mini wreath that encapsulates the warmth and tradition of the holiday season. So, get your supplies ready and get creative - the possibilities are truly endless!
Tess xxDid you know that bespoke dried flower wreaths are our specialty? We would love to create a one-of-a-kind design just for you. Click here to browse our current range.